Re: Defun Self Documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Defun Self Documentation
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 17:48:25 +0200

> From: Anders Munch <ajm@flonidan.dk>
> Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 15:33:27 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Thanks for explaining your reasoning, but let's not forget that setting
> > that to zero has a downside: if one types fast, it will slow down redisplay
> > by delaying the response to the typing.
>
> There is less work to do because it happens 0.125 seconds later?

No, because with zero value it happens immediately, and the extra work
required to show the overlay will slow down Emacs.

The display of the overlays to show the matching parentheses works
with an idle timer, and that value is the amount of time Emacs should
be idle before the parentheses are highlighted.  If you time fast,
Emacs will never be idle for that much time, so the parentheses will
not be highlighted while typing.  If you set the value to zero, the
parentheses will be highlighted no matter how fast you type, so Emacs
becomes less responsive to your typing.

> > But of course, this is personal, which is why it is a user option.
>
> Sure, but we were talking about the default, and the 0.1 seconds is an actual
> scientific result.

I'm not sure the 0.1 number is relevant to this feature.  We are not
talking about the reaction time, we are talking about the shortest
time that indicates the user stopped typing.