Re: Read/process mbox file in Gnus

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Read/process mbox file in Gnus
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 08:27:38 -0800

> On Friday,  6 Nov 2020 at 07:09, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>> Thanks for the input folks. Seems like I should bite the bullet and
>> reinstall VM.
>
> Gnus does understand mbox format files.  I have the following snippet in
> my gnus configuration:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (setq
>    mail-sources '((file :path "/var/mail/ucecesf")
>                   (file :path "/home/ucecesf/mbox")))
> #+end_src
>
> and the emails are picked up from there perfectly fine.  Whether this is
> sufficient for your actual use case, is another story.

Oh, well that answers my earlier question -- both the nndoc route and
the mail-sources route would serve Skip's purposes, since both can read
mbox. It's just a question of whether the process is very occasional and
very manual (use nndoc) or regular and automatable (use mail-sources).

maildir wouldn't need to come into it.