Re: Question about dir-locals c-mode.

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: Question about dir-locals c-mode.
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 14:39:49 +0100

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> Hi:
>
> This is probably a basic question, but I don't find any reference.
>
> I have a .dir-locals.el file a bit long because the project implied is a
> bit special regarding indentation. The problem is that the project is
> either C and C++ code and the indentation in both cases is retty much
> the same; but other files like python, bash or makefiles require
> different indentation.
>
> I am wondering if it is possible in the dir-locals to set a
> configuration either for C and C++ without repeating myself.
>
> Up to now I have:
>
> (c++-mode . (...Long...))
> (c-mode . (...Long...))
>
> But everytime I update the C config I have to copy and paste in the
> other...
>
> is it possible to do something equivalent to:
>
> ((or c-mode c++-mode) . (...Long...))
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ergus

There's no special syntax to match several major modes in
.dir-locals.el.  One alternative is to put your C and C++ configuration
under prog-mode and add specific entries for Python, Bash and Makefiles
modes.

Another alternative may be to use the "eval" variable to call a common
function that sets the file-local variables. Something like:

((c++-mode . ((eval . (apply-common-c-configuration))))
 (c-mode . ((eval . (apply-common-c-configuration)))))