compile mode buffer name customization

From: Joe Buehler
Subject: compile mode buffer name customization
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 11:23:37 -0500

I customized compile mode some time ago to add the command name
(suitably sanitized) to the buffer name.  That way I have a complete
history of all the compiles I have run and their output.

This stopped working at some point (haven't upgraded in a long time).  I
saw a note to the effect that emacs lisp switched to lexical scoping?  I
was using the "command" variable in my hook but it is no longer
accessible apparently due to the scoping change?

Any easy solutions here?  Just having the mode name for the buffer name
hook is a bit of a limitation.

Joe Buehler