Re: To fetch URL, extract <title> element?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: To fetch URL, extract <title> element?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 21:04:38 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2020-11-11 18:29]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > What is the standard built-in way to fetch the http[s] URL?
>
> `url-retrieve' sounds appropriate.

I am trying like this:

(defun wrs-fetch-title (url)
  (url-retrieve url #'wrs-get-title (list url)))

(defun wrs-get-title (status url)
  (message-any status))

(wrs-fetch-title "http://localhost";)

At least I get status nil, but I do not know how to get the HTML
text. Yes, I am looking into eww but it is not enlightening.

> If I understand what you want correctly, eww seems to get the title with
> `eww-tag-title'

That somehow sounds easier to do. To get HTML or any text is first
priority.

That will help in Hyperscope to automatically update WWW links with
their titles provided that content-type is HTML.