Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Best Emacs Mail client.
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 18:38:45 +0300

* Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> [2020-11-15 17:45]:
> * 2020-11-15 10:21:18+03, Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > I have 50000+ Maildir folders relating to 50000+ conversations and
> > many more email messages.
>
> Yes, some of us like storing all the mail we have received. I'll
> "advertise" my preferred system.
>
>     $ notmuch count
>     458078

admin-> mu msgs-count
460886

> All those mails are currently in 14 Maildir directories, by the year of
> the mail message, so that a single file system directory don't grow too
> much.

There are ways to open up Mutt and show specific messages pertaining
to specific email address. I just prefer having Maildir folder for
each. Then I can even easily tar gzip folder and send it back to my
conversant.

> (At some point I had _all_ mail files in a single Maildir directory
> which is perfectly fine for Notmuch. However, some file system tools
> might start to slow down when one directory has hundreds of thousands of
> files. It's probably better to split mail file somehow. Thus, I nowadays
> split mail files to differect directories by year. Anyway, for Notmuch
> it doesn't mean anything.)

My storage is as follows:

~/Maildir/tlikonen@iki.fi with cur/new/tmp inside
~/Maildir/somebody@example.com

and so on

Mutt setting is:

set save_name=yes
set save_address=yes
set force_name=yes

But I cannot be sure now, some of those may not be needed.

When I finish with email, I save it, it moves from IMAP or Maildir
folder to subfolder. Finished.

When I need to see all emails from specific contact, let us say I am reading
IMAP or main maildir, I have settings to click ESC v to see all previous
emails. It becomes simple as then I am just looking with new mutt instance into
~/Maildir/tlikonen@iki.fi

> > Maildir format is number one choice for me, and I wish Emacs could be
> > able to handle that, but it does not.
>
> Or Emacs doesn't need to handle mail files at all: Notmuch Emacs
> interface works by calling Notmuch which does the work through its
> database. So when I open a virtual folder "emacs.help" in the user
> interface it triggers preconfigured search with terms like:
>
>     ( to:help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org OR List:help-gnu-emacs ) AND date:90days..

In general it is good to have search and I use mu. notmouch I tried
and it did not work. Last attempt before few days. It was for
hours. Maybe on some other computer.

mu4e does not work best for me. It can search yes, show me
results. But it cannot show me Maildir list as there are too many.

I would try notmuch, but it could never index it. Sometimes waiting
even one day. I never had patience.

It can also be that many attachments are disturbing searches.

In general main interest for me is to see previous conversation from
and to specific user to verify or review it. That minimizes searches
about 99% of time.

> Another approach for fast mail handling is to index all mail like
> Notmuch. Searching doesn't read actual mail files; it uses the database
> indexes. Only when user wants to display a mail the actual file is
> opened in the file system. That is always fast and it doesn't matter
> where the mail is located in the file system.
>
>     $ time notmuch search from:"Jean Louis" AND date:2018..2019 >/dev/null
>
>     real    0m0,037s
>     user    0m0,033s
>     sys     0m0,004s

I have it indexed with mu4e. Notmuch not performing well (could never
make it to work).

M-x shell:

$ time mu find tlikonen@iki.fi
Sun 11 Oct 2020 01:32:36 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: Proposal for
an Emacs User Survey
Sun 11 Oct 2020 09:25:51 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: Proposal for
an Emacs User Survey
Sun 11 Oct 2020 09:45:56 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: Proposal for
an Emacs User Survey
Sun 11 Oct 2020 11:36:22 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: Proposal for
an Emacs User Survey
Sun 11 Oct 2020 11:42:42 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: Proposal for
an Emacs User Survey
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:36:25 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: Proposal for
an Emacs User Survey
Mon 26 Oct 2020 10:58:40 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: Proposal for
an Emacs User Survey
Sat 31 Oct 2020 03:35:10 PM EAT Jean Louis <louis@rcdsociety.com> Re: A survey
for Emacs users
Sat 31 Oct 2020 10:37:51 PM EAT Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> Re: A survey for
Emacs users

real    0m0.017s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.010s

$ time mu find tlikonen@iki.fi date:2018..2020
[...]

real    0m0.018s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.000s

This package you may find useful:

http://github.com/nicferrier/emacs-maildir

I wish it could be better. That package could well integrate stored
emails with Emacs without using search and searches as mu and notmuch
with Emacs in maybe more simpler manner.

Jean