Re: EShell Alias for a 'cd' followed by 'ls'

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: EShell Alias for a 'cd' followed by 'ls'
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 00:52:46 -0800

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:10 PM Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:

> The only caveat is that the aliases will go into an
> official release and cannot require users to type them.
>
> Have done some elisp functions for that.
>
> ---------------------
> Christopher Dimech
> General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
> - Geophysical Simulation
> - Geological Subsurface Mapping
> - Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
> - Natural Resource Exploration and Production
> - Free Software Advocacy
>

> > Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:39 AM
> > From: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>
> > To: "Dan Hitt" <dan.hitt@gmail.com>
> > Cc: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>, "Help Gnu Emacs" <
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, "Stefan Kangas" <stefan@marxist.se>
> > Subject: Re: EShell Alias for a 'cd' followed by 'ls'
> >
> > * Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> [2020-11-19 09:04]:
> > > Well, what is your init file?
> > >
> > > If your init file is in ~/.emacs.d/init.el, it looks like the act of
> typing
> > >     alias cl 'cd $* ; ls'
> > > to the eshell prompt will write the filesystem itself, and create or
> modify
> > > the file ~/.emacs.d/eshell/alias
> > >
> > > So that might be bad or that might be good, but it's a permanent change
> > > (unless you edit the alias file): you need only type the characters
> once
> > > and then forever after the alias is available (unless you explicitly
> erase
> > > it).
> >
> > It is possible to undefine alias by duing
> >
> > $ alias ALIAS
> >
> > and alias will be not be there any more.

Thanks Jean Louis for the undo info.

Christopher --- would it suit your release process to have a standardized,
prepopulated ~/.emacs.d/eshell/alias file for your users?

I have checked that one does not need to actually define an alias through
eshell.  It suffices to modify the alias file.  (Although, to figure out
what to put into the master alias file, you may have to do experiments with
eshell.)

dan