Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: [Help] Emacs does not launch as normal user.
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 13:28:37 -0600

MysteriousSilver <mysterioussilver@protonmail.com> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
>> Begining on line , you have the following:
>>
>> access("/usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts/SourceCode/SourceCodePro-Medium.ttf",
>> R_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>> --- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0x88}
>> --- rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[SEGV],
>> sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0x7f6f866636a0},
>> {sa_handler=0x56274dd59dc0, sa_mask=~[KILL STOP RTMIN RT_1],
>> sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_ONSTACK|SA_SIGINFO,
>> sa_restorer=0x7f6f869d40f0}, 8) = 0
>>
>> To me, that looks like the permissions on that .ttf are wrong, > and emacs
>> is not handling the problem gracefully. So, I would start by looking at
>> the permissions on that file.
>
> Thanks for replying, deleting that SourceCode folder in fixed it and emacs
> launches now.
>

> But the toolbar looks different when running 'sudo emacs' and
> 'emacs'. Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/8KONgvT.png ('sudo emacs' is
> the right window). Any idea how to fix this?
>

> emacs.trace file: https://termbin.com/sm18

I recommended fixing the permissions on that directory.

Looking at the trace file and your screenshots, I think that you still
have a bunch of permissions problems which is causing emacs not to be
able to load a lot of stuff, including icons.

I am not familiar with Arch Linux (I use debian), so you may be better
off at this point to ask on the Arch lists/fora for help sorting this
out.

Leo