How to use project.el

From: excalamus
Subject: How to use project.el
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 15:52:01 +0100 (CET)

With 27.1 out, I see talk of project.el, how great it is, and how it's been
around for years.  What I don't see is anything about how to use it.  There's
one sparse page in the manual, C-h i m emacs m Projects.  I've run
project-find-file and project-search.  I fail to see how they're fundamentally
different than find-file or grep.

I happen to have ESS installed which appears to use project.el.  It defines
some new methods.  I'll need to brush up on CL objects and generic methods,
though, before I can decipher how those interact with project.el.  In the
meantime, does anyone have a basic setup and usage example?