Re: Visual font looping setup

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Visual font looping setup
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 23:16:32 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-11-20 23:01]:
> > Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 22:26:48 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> >
> > I think we should make a function to visually loop through all the
> > fonts for default Emacs settings.
>
> What do you mean by "fonts for default Emacs settings"?

Yes, I meant fonts that are available on system to be quickly looped
for visual selection.

Sure that I look into separate program and then try to set it in
Emacs. I have to know how to type the font and to choose various options in
Emacs to have the same font actually selected. It is tedious.

> Failing that, the font selection dialog popped by S-mouse-1 or
> Options->Set Default Font from the menu bar usually shows a small
> sample of each font as you scroll through their list.
>
> Does one of these fit the bill?

I remember using that one before many years. For me that option almost
never gives satisfactorily result.

DejaVu Sans Mono is for example not listed there. Many other way
better and visually pleasant fonts are not there. In fact the option
chooses more or less majority of fonts that I consider not pleasant
for reading or working.

I can see there only following:

- Misc
- Courier
- Fontset

Under fontset there are 2 options that change something, Courier
changes courier and Misc is pretty much ugly unless I enlarge those
fonts to be huge.