Re: Visual font looping setup

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Visual font looping setup
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 22:30:37 +0200

> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 23:16:32 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Sure that I look into separate program and then try to set it in
> Emacs. I have to know how to type the font and to choose various options in
> Emacs to have the same font actually selected. It is tedious.

??? All you need is to tell Emacs which font to use, as in

  emacs -fn FONT-NAME

And similar in your init file, using one of the available methods, for
example set-face-attribute.

> > Failing that, the font selection dialog popped by S-mouse-1 or
> > Options->Set Default Font from the menu bar usually shows a small
> > sample of each font as you scroll through their list.
> >
> > Does one of these fit the bill?
>
> I remember using that one before many years. For me that option almost
> never gives satisfactorily result.

I mentioned two possibilities, not one.  Which one did you use, and
how about to try the other one?

> DejaVu Sans Mono is for example not listed there. Many other way
> better and visually pleasant fonts are not there. In fact the option
> chooses more or less majority of fonts that I consider not pleasant
> for reading or working.
>
> I can see there only following:
>
> - Misc
> - Courier
> - Fontset
>
> Under fontset there are 2 options that change something, Courier
> changes courier and Misc is pretty much ugly unless I enlarge those
> fonts to be huge.

Sounds like you tried S-mouse-1.  Then try the other method I
mentioned.