Surfing https protocol enabled website from within emacs through socks5

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Surfing https protocol enabled website from within emacs through socks5 proxy.
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 23:39:06 +0800

Hi,

On Ubuntu 20.04, I compiled the latest git master version of emacs.
Now I want to use the eww to browse https protocol enabled website
from within emacs through socks5 proxy.

I add the following settings in my ~/.emcas config file:

(setq url-gateway-method 'socks)
(setq socks-server '("Default server" "127.0.0.1" 18888 5))

But, it seems that the above settings only enabled me to access the
http protocol based website. For https enabled website, say,
https://www.google.com, eww failed to open it at all. The following
info will reside in the bottom buffer for ever:

Contacting host: www.google.com:443

Any hints for this problem will be highly appreciated.
Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic Vocational and Technical University
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China