Re: Syriac input-method for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Syriac input-method for Emacs
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 20:33:58 +0200

> From: "Fadi F. Al-Sammak" <ffsammak@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 20:33:31 +0300
>
>    I hope this e-mail finds you well and safe. I just found the hebrew.el
>    file for Hebrew input-method in Emacs which sits in this path:
>
>    emacs-27.1/lisp/leim/quail/hebrew.el
>
>    I would be very interested to have the same setup as an input-method
>    for the Syriac language. I would be very grateful if you could help me
>    with that for the Syriac which happens to be also a Right-to-Left
>    language just as the Hebrew. The main objective is to integrate this
>    input-method into Emacs, I don't know how difficult this goal to
>    achieve.

The first step in defining an input method is to come up with the
layouts of characters on keys of a QWERTY keyboard.  Are there
accepted standards for Syriac keyboards, and if so, could you show the
keyboard layouts?  If there are no accepted standards, could you
propose an arrangement that would make sense to users of the Syriac
script?  I see there are several Syriac keyboard layouts on the
Internet, perhaps we could use one of them?

>    I also noticed that there is another hebrew.el file in Emacs source
>    code which is sitting in this path:
>
>    emacs-27.1/lisp/language/hebrew.el

The former is the Hebrew input methods, the latter is the support for
Hebrew language other than input methods.