Re: custom-set-faces for various file types

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: custom-set-faces for various file types
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 22:39:08 +0100

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> > What is your goal?  Faces looking differently depending on the major
> > mode?
>
> I would like that some special constructs are highligthed so that the
> contrast would be suitable for assistive reasons.  For instance, in
> current texinfo modes, constructs in pure tex do not get highlighted.
> So I have some code that uses custom-set-faces in texi-init.el.
>
> The Manual says that custom-set-variables must be only called once.
> [...]

I don't think custom is the right tool for your purpose.  Face
definitions are global.  You can switch between settings ("themes"), but
the effect is always global.

For texinfo, maybe you could instead change the font-locking of the
mode?  It's defined in `texinfo-font-lock-keywords'.  Maybe it's enough
to add an entry to that list?

Emacs also supports per-buffer modifications of faces.  The mechanism is
called "face-remap".  You could use it in the mode's hooks to change how
a face looks like in buffers using that mode.  `face-remap-add-relative'
is the function to use, takes a face and a list of specs.  Using that
would be a cleaner solution for your case I think.

Michael.