Re: Auto Fill Comments

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 07:11:45 +0000

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

> Would this be good enough  to Auto Fill Comments in c language.
> What can I use for Auto Fill Comments for other languages, e.g.
> fortran, elisp, c++, texinfo, bash, awk, org, R.
>
> ;; Apply Auto Fill to comments but not code in programming language modes.
> (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook
>    (lambda ()
>       (auto-fill-mode 1)
>       (set
>          (make-local-variable 'fill-nobreak-predicate)
>          (lambda ()
>             (not (eq (get-text-property (point) 'face)
>                     'font-lock-comment-face)))) ))

Notice that "M-q" performs paragraph filling for comments in C and other
languages.  It is not *auto* filling certainly, but it's very useful.

I've found that to be the best myself.  That's because of commenting out
code.  The problem is if you comment out code then modify it when it's a
comment.  If you set Emacs to auto-fill comments, then it will auto-fill
those code comments as though they're text.  That's wrong when you want
to uncomment the block and make it back into code, it removes the
indentation.

BR,
Robert Thorpe