Re: RE: Auto Fill Comments

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: RE: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:02:45 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-11-27 08:32]:
> > Example of such well hyperlinked document is the Common Lisp
> > Hyperspec:
> > https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/Hype
> > rSpec/Body/03_dd.htm__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!M0oMWYk7ycXnM09iZWgxA9rs9YHwszzUU
> > mkxyu4rqQ8q1NPYUklPucBUWHTBipB9$
> >
> > Documentation of the Common Lisp Hyperspec if very complex but with
> > finely grained references hyperlinks it becomes pleasure to learn and
> > programmers can orient themselves easier in the apparently complex
> > document. That is example of complex instructions well prepared for
> > easier understanding.
>
> FWIW -
>
> Though I use the hyperspec sometimes I vastly
> prefer CLTL2.  It gives you conceptual info
> about the language and Lisp generally (in
> addition to giving the API info that the
> hyperspec provides).

You are so right, That one is easier for learning. Reference for
others:
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node1.html

> CLTL describes the language design, and tells
> you reasons why it's the way it is, as well as
> some of the important consequences.  Someone
> wondering about the seeming oddities of Lisp
> will begin to understand them with CLTL.

Basically it tells also of etymology of the term in a language which
is important in understanding also normal English or other language
words.

> You can actually sit down and learn Common
> Lisp (and Lisp generally) by reading CLTL.
> It takes you from pretty much no knowledge to
> pretty much complete info about the language.
>
> CLTL is not a how-to book - not a tutorial.
> It's a spec of the language, but in English,
> not algebra.
>
> (Another book that's in a similar spirit, but
> isn't a spec of a particular language, is
> Abelson & Sussman's Structure & Interpretation
> of Computer Programs.)

For reference, it may be downloaded by using this Emacs package:
https://github.com/webframp/sicp-info

There are gradual ways to full understanding. Emacs Lisp has its Emacs
Lisp Intro manual. That is one gradual step to understanding.

When subject appears way too hard it is advisable to look into
intermediate instructional texts.

I think that Emacs Manual is finely written and one better go through
first few chapters before readin further chapters. That way one get
introduced in gradual manner.

Without understanding general concepts of course that reader may find
it hard in advanced concepts.

Learning first things first is always advised for any kind of
subject..