Re: RE: RE: Auto Fill Comments

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: RE: RE: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:21:53 +0300

* Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> [2020-11-27 09:08]:
> Started with Emacs Lisp Manual , then Emacs Lisp Intro.
> But when I got the buffer-local for the sake of auto-fill,
> I was finished, Kaput.
>
> Anyway, we don't want to rant forever.

I have never used buffer local variables. Recently, developers of
`emacs-libpq' dynamic module for direct access to PostgreSQL mentioned
using buffer local variables to keep note of a variable holding the
database handle.

That would probably mean it would be opening multiple TCP connections
to the database per each buffer using such handles.

As I am working with the database being displayed in Emacs I will soon
need to start creating different buffers for different displays of the
database backed reports. And I wonder if I will need to use buffer
local variables for that or I will just need to make buffers by new
names that they reuse the database handle. Probably this way.

But what about using multiple buffers where one has per buffer marked
items or filtering options. Then such should probably become buffer
local or otherwise such variables global over buffers would influence
display in various buffers.