Re: Auto Fill Comments

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:32:55 -0500

> I just have a typical example in front of me right now. I have a small
> program written in Scheme. To make sure Emacs starts Scheme mode, the
> end of the file has:
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; mode: scheme
> ;; End:
>
> This makes sure the variable `mode' is set to the value "scheme". But

Hmm... not sure if it's the best example: there is no `mode` variable.
The corresponding variable is called `major-mode` and will be set to
`scheme-mode` and the above doesn't set the var directly but just calls
the function `scheme-mode` (which then sets the var, tho it doesn't
have to: you can also use `;; mode: auto-fill` which will enable
`auto-fill-mode` and won't set `major-mode`).

IOW, in file-local variables, `mode` is quite special (there aren't many
such exceptions.  The main other one is `coding`).

        Stefan