Re: RE: Auto Fill Comments

From: tomas
Subject: Re: RE: Auto Fill Comments
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 09:42:24 +0100

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 12:22:11AM +0100, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> That's a great example.  We can have a function that sets fill-column
> as buffer-local and hook it to programming mode, c-mode say.

Why mix a mode in? This makes the example unnecessarily complex.
Just fill-column, buffer-local, that's it.

>                                                     That would
> be a useful example.  And users can try it out and see things work.
>
> Yes, it is repeating and RTFM, but with a serious code example to excite
> people to write actual code after the prose.

The interesting challenge is that different people have diverse
approaches at learning. Covering as much ground as possible
without exploding in size (which would hinder learning, too)
is that Herculean task. That's probably why there's more than
1 book.

I claim the Emacs folks have done an outstanding job with the
two manuals and the introduction /on top of/ the whole "live"
doc (docstrings, ref to source, etc.). The only software projects
I could name rivalling that doc would be Don Knuth's TeX and
METAFONT, but they are (one? several?) orders of magnitude less
complex than Emacs at this point.

Cheers
 - t