Re: Removing line and column number settings from some buffers

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Removing line and column number settings from some buffers
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 00:24:27 +0100

daniela-spit@gmx.it writes:

> Got it, thank you.
>
> Am also trying to see what is what.  When I removed some of the options,
> the mode line still remained the same.

Some elements only display something under certain circumstances.

Another thing is that mode-line-format "Automatically becomes
buffer-local when set."  If you want to see an effect nearly everywhere,
you must change the default value of the symbol.  Some modes don't use
the default mode-line display but implement an own one so these would
not be affected (when changing the default).

Or modify the variables that represent parts of the mode-line and have
their own variable.  This is often the better alternative for global
mode-line config, in my experience.

Regards,

Michael.