Re: Telling Tramp NOT to use authinfo.gpg

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Telling Tramp NOT to use authinfo.gpg
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 10:03:45 +0100

"Gleb Nemshilov" <gleb@fastmail.com> writes:

Hi Gleb,

> I use authinfo.gpg file for storing passwrods for Gnus only. This
> causes Tramp to constantly ask password for .authinfo.gpg.
>
> Is it possible to disable this behaviour?
>
> I tried setting "tramp-completion-use-auth-sources" to nil, but that
> does not help and I still get prompted for the password each time I
> use Tramp with something like "/su::/" and pressing Tab.

When nil, this user option disables to use your .authinfo.pgp when
completing host names. So you shall keep it nil.

Disabling .authinfo.gpg for Tramp is not foreseen. The most simple
workaround is to eval after loading tramp.el

(fset #'tramp-read-passwd
      (lambda (key &optional prompt)
        (password-read (or prompt "Password: ") key)))

> Best regards,
> Gleb

Best regards, Michael.