Re: Cycle Auto-Fill

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Cycle Auto-Fill
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 00:43:34 +0100

> Sent: Monday, December 07, 2020 at 12:01 AM
> From: "Michael Heerdegen" <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Cycle Auto-Fill
>
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > Unbound? What is that?
>
> (info "(elisp) Void Variables")

What is the relevance of having the value cell of symbol auto-fill-mode
void? Why do you recommend auto-fill-function instead?

Looks like auto-fill-function is a variable called in auto-fill-mode.
You seem to imply that setting the variable auto-fill-function breaks
the line without needing to utilise auto-fill-mode.

> > For what things should a key-cycle be global?
>
> Things that make emacs look different, for example: menu-bar-mode and
> such, display-time-mode and things that change the mode-line.  Changing
> frame backgrounds because it got dark, or changing how Emacs looks like
> because you want to use it for a presentation?

Very clear, thank you.  This got us back to what Daniela was doing with
mode-line.  Quite many things can be linked together.  She has not managed
to revert mode-line to its original value, last time we talked about that.