nnimap splitting

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: nnimap splitting
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 22:38:04 +0000

I am trying to set up imap splitting (for about the third time!), as I
move toward an fully imap setup. I find that I cannot get it to work in
even a basic way. I suspect that I have done something daft, but I can't
find it.

My set up is long unfortunately, so hard to reproduce it all here, but
I'd welcome anyone giving me ideas. The select methods look like this:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "localhost"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-server-port 143)
                ;; [...]
                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)
                (nnimap-split-fancy
                 (|
                  ("subject" "split-into-temp" "temp")
                  ;; [...]
                  ;; otherwise, leave mail in INBOX
                  "INBOX")))
        (nnml ""
              (nnir-search-engine notmuch))))

Obviously that nnimap-split-fancy is temporary.

However, any use of B t `gnus-summary-respool-trace' results in "this
message would go to bogus". More over, if I check the server buffer and
"Show" I get

(nnimap "localhost")

Just this. None of the rest of the server variables. On the nnml server
I get:

(nnml ""
      (nnir-search-engine notmuch))

So, my interpretation here is that the rest of the nnimap form above is
not being interpreted.

I did think that there might be a caching problem, because these values
are not in `gnus-server-method-cache' but I have checked this out, and
it seems unlikely as this variable is not bound when I set
gnus-secondary-select-methods.

I'm fairly sure I am doing something daft, but I cannot think what.

Any thoughts?

Phil