Re: nnimap splitting

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 18:48:58 +0000

On 2020-12-10 17:41, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

Don't quote 'nnimap-split-fancy in this line. In fact, it's possible
that you can do without this dance altogether -- the manual makes it
look like that's okay. Maybe take this clause out and see if it works,
and if it doesn't, put it back in but don't quote nnimap-split-fancy.

Alas no. I am still confused as to whether the server are being set at
all.

You mean the server variables?

Yes, apologies

If they're specified correctly, and it
looks like they are apart from the quoting issue, they should all be
honored. Can you get non-fancy splitting working? Try the simplest case.

No, I can't. Simple or otherwise, nothing seems to work. I do have an extensive set of `nnmail-split-fancy` rules, which I use for the nnml backend that I am trying to deprecate. For those, I haven't user server-variables, but just set nnmail-split-methods and the rest.

FWIW, my local imap settings look like:

(nnimap "EA"
        (nnimap-address "localhost")
        (nnimap-stream network)
        (nnimap-authenticator login)
        (nnimap-user "eric@ericabrahamsen.net"))

With passwords kept in the pass utility via ~/.authinfo.gpg. I don't do
client-side splitting, though.

Yeah, well, I have a similar set up.

I have tried debugging `gnus-summary-respool-query'. This has a bit `let' form like so:

         (let ((nnmail-split-methods
                        (cond
                         ((eq nnimap-split-methods 'default)
                          nnmail-split-methods)
                         (nnimap-split-methods
                          nnimap-split-methods)
                         (nnimap-split-fancy
                          'nnmail-split-fancy)))
                       (nnmail-split-fancy (or nnimap-split-fancy
                                               nnmail-split-fancy)))
                   (nnmail-article-group 'identity trace))

While evaluating this using an article in a nnimap group, all of the `nnimap-' variables evaluate to nil. I am not even sure how server variables would work; are they something like buffer-locals -- I can't see how these forms are going to return anything other than the global value for the nnimap- variables!

Phil