Re: nnimap splitting

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 16:07:23 -0800

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk writes:

> On 2020-12-10 18:58, phillip.lord@russet.org.uk wrote:
>> On 2020-12-10 18:36, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
>>> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>>>
>> I think
>> I am looking in the wrong place and my configuration here is not the
>> issue at all. I have no idea, unfortunately, what the issue is. If
>> this is supposed to work in Gnus, I think, it is getting all the
>> server information from somehwere else. NOt sure where!

Coincidentally, this is the subject of the talk I "gave" at Emacsconf
last week! All server variables defined with defvoo (so all the nnimap-*
symbols in your server config) are global variables, but the
server-specific values are copied into the global variables while that
server is the "current server". So you'll only see the relevant value --
the value Gnus is actually using -- if you edebug a live connection to
the server. I hope that makes sense, apparently I still have trouble
articulating how this works.

> And this turns out to be the problem. I tried changing
> secondary-select-methods to this:
>

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '(
>         (nnimap "localhost"
>                 ;;(nnimap-address "localhost")
>                 ;;(nnimap-server-port 143)
>                 (nnimap-address "i-dont-exist")
>                 (nnimap-server-port 'random-nonsense)
>                 ;; [...]
>                 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>                 (nnimap-split-methods
>                  (("temp" "^Subject: split-into-temp")
>                   ("INBOX" "")))
>        (nnml ""
>               (nnir-search-engine notmuch))))
>
> And Gnus still works, still looks up the nnimap back end, still access
> the email
> despite the clearly incorrect address and server port. It doesn't
> appear to be using
> the information here at all. Confusing as it is using the nnml
> information.

I would close the connection to this imap server, edebug
`nnimap-open-connection-1', re-open the server, and check out what's
going on. You'll be guaranteed to see the server variables as Gnus sees
them. Given your config above, I would expect nnimap-stream to be set to
'network, but I don't see how Gnus would be setting nnimap-address back
to "localhost" since you gave it a value.

I'm also confused.