Can't open Emacs

From: Gene B. Gragg
Subject: Can't open Emacs
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 23:02:26 +0000

I have been trying to reinstall GNU Emacs (my principal text editor for at
least the last ten years) on a recently acquired MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina
Version 10.15.7). I unfortunately first trashed the existing version. I have
tried both installing with home-brew (brew cask install emacs) and downloading
from emacsformacosx.com. When I try to open the application in either case I
get, again and again, the message:

“Emacs” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Please tell me what I need to do to have a functioning Emacs so that I can get
on with my work.

Thank you,

Gene Gragg (g-gragg@uchicago.edu)
University of Chicago
Professor Emeritus (Oriental Institute, Linguistics, NELC)
Oriental Institute
1155 E. 58th St.
Chicago IL 60637
Tel: (773) 307-7486