Re: nnimap splitting

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:43:58 +0530

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk writes:

>> 1 (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods ; codeisgreat.org
>> 2         `(nnimap "codeisgreat"
>> 3                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>> 4                  (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>> 5                  (nnimap-expunge immediately)
>> 6                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
>> 7                  (nnimap-split-methods ,nnmail-split-methods)))
>> Notice backquote on line 2 and comma on line 7. And
>> ‘nnmail-split-methods’ is defined like this:
>> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>>       '(("cron" "^from:.*Cron Daemon")
>>      ("cron" "^from: OSSEC HIDS <ossecm@app0>")
>>      ("cron" "^from: OSSEC HIDS <ossecm@app1>")))
>

> Just out of curiosity, why do you not use `(nnimap-split-methods
> default)` which should do the same thing without the backtick.

This has a little history. I have many IMAP servers to fetch from. And I
had different variables to set splitting for each. Quoting was necessary
then. It is only recently, after looking at an 11 year old message from
Lars in a mailing list, that I have switched to using a common variable,
which, as you said, could be replaced with default.