Re: nnimap splitting

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 16:04:37 -0600

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
> On 2020-12-11 12:24, Leo Butler wrote:
>> phillip.lord@russet.org.uk writes:

>> C-h v gnus-server-alist RET
>> gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in ‘gnus.el’.
>> Its value is shown below.
>> Documentation:
>> Servers created by Gnus, or via the server buffer.
>> Servers defined in the user’s config files do not appear here.
>> This variable is persisted in the user’s .newsrc.eld file.
>> Value:
>>
>> You need to edit this variable.
>> It's an odd design and I banged my head against this one for years
>> before I finally figured out why Gnus kept trying to open servers
>> that I
>> had deleted from gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>>

> Yes, indeed, after extensive debugging, this does indeed appear to be
> the problem.
>
> Gnus seems to be getting the imap address from .newsrc.eld during
> start up and all
> rest of the info from .authinfo.gpg, although in this case from
> gnus-newsrc-alist which
> is saved in .newsrc.eld. Everything in gnus-secondary-select-methods
> is thus ignored.
>
> I have tried just tried ditching the server variables instead.
>
> (setq
>   nnimap-inbox "INBOX"
>   nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy
>   nnimap-split-fancy
>   '(|
>     ("subject" "split-into-temp" "temp-test")
>     "temp-test"
>     ))
>

> This sort of works in that "B t" shows that mail messages go to
> "temp-test" as expected.
> However, attempting to respool with "B r" fails. Took me a while to
> debug this and the
> cause is because despite "B t" saying "temp-test", nnimap actually
> sends this command:
>
> 21:08:18 [localhost] 323 APPEND "mail.misc" {112079}
>

> I am guessing that gnus does not like to be configured for both nnmail
> and nnimap splitting
> even when operating within a single backend. The solution might be
> just to start afresh.
>
> Hmmm. This is not going smoothly!

Ahhh, you have found the downside to Gnus.  Gnus stores so much state
that it is hard/nearly impossible to re-configure.

For example, my .newsrc.eld is a monster that is impossible to load
into an emacs buffer to edit or inspect. So I found out about
gnus-server-alist by using the debugger while trying to edit (or delete,
can't recall) a server in the *Server* buffer.

What I would do (I am on linux), is create a fresh user account with a
clean home directory and build a working .gnus configuration tailored to
my wants. That way, you maintain a working Gnus for your main account
and can fiddle with your toy account without fear. It's not a pretty
solution, but it will avoid the heart/headache of other options.

Leo