Re: silent messages

From: tomas
Subject: Re: silent messages
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:05:05 +0100

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 01:52:56PM +0100, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> Aaah, this was nice:
>
>   (setq echo-keystrokes 0)
>
> But how can I make Emacs even more silent?
>
> For example, how can I inhibit/suppress the annoying and (for
> me) meaningless
>
>   Auto-saving...done
>   Mark set
>   Quit
>
> ?

At least to one of those I can offer an answer. Quoth the Emacs
manual:

    18.6 Auto-Saving: Protection Against Disasters

    [...]

    When Emacs determines that it is time for auto-saving [...]
    When the ‘auto-save-no-message’ variable is set to ‘nil’
    (the default), the message ‘Auto-saving...’ is displayed
    in the echo area during auto-saving, if any files are actually
    auto-saved; to disable these messages, customize the variable
    to a non-‘nil’ value.  Errors occurring during auto-saving
    are caught so that they do not interfere with the execution of
    commands you have been typing.

So set (or customize) `auto-save-no-message'. Found by searching
for `message' in the Emacs manual.

Cheers
 - t