Re: let, let*, oh, why [was: Elisp - Function returning a list]

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: let, let*, oh, why [was: Elisp - Function returning a list]
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 16:08:17 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> That doesn't do what you usually want.
>>
>> Help me to understand why?
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-11/msg00750.html

Maybe a line in the docstring of `lexical-binding' would be
in place?

I always did ;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*- and it does make
sense that (setq lexical-binding t) doesn't "work" but one can
easily imagine a misunderstanding taking place. Or we just saw
it, actually, with a reference at that, so we don't even have
to imagine...

*chuckle*

This only underscores what J. Louis just said!

> There are no big deals with dynamic variables as well, one
> can program for years without real problem.

That's right! Just program soundly and this corresponds to the
lexical style to the point that even in dynamic mode, it won't
cause any problems :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573