Re: Understanding the "let" construct and the setting of variables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Understanding the "let" construct and the setting of variables
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 00:15:54 -0500

>  t   -> (lambda (&rest _) t)

   (fset t (lambda (&rest _) t))

seems to work fine here.

>  nil -> #'ignore

This one does signal an error in `fset`.  We could lift this error of
course, but then we find other problems because nil is used as the
marker that a function is "unbound", so subsequent calls to nil
fail anyway.

>  1   -> #'identity

Here the problem is that 1 is not a symbol.  You can do

    (fset '\1 #'identity)

tho, after which

    (\1 42)

returns 42.