Re: For text processing, which is more powerful, emacs or perl?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: For text processing, which is more powerful, emacs or perl?
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 09:52:12 +0300

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2020-12-20 09:19]:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 1:31 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> >
> > * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2020-12-20 04:43]:
> > > werner@X10DAi:~$ time python3 --version >/dev/null
> > >
> > > real    0m0.086s
> > > user    0m0.065s
> > > sys    0m0.027s
> > > werner@X10DAi:~$ time perl --version >/dev/null
> > >
> > > real    0m0.003s
> > > user    0m0.003s
> > > sys    0m0.000s
> >
> > You did not measure the code, rather startup time to show the version.
>
> https://perlmaven.com/compare-the-speed-of-perl-and-python-regex

I see, yes, it cannot compare well to Python. So for when speed is
critical it is better using Perl. Perl is/was one of my favorite
languages and I did everything in Perl before learning about Lisp.

Lisp offers to me better simpler readability.

What I am missing is simple interface and that is solved with Emacs
built-in features. And Emacs than provides instability so I cannot
really solve huge tasks with it, it crashes, has memory problems,
etc.