Re: Reply-To -> CC?

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Reply-To -> CC?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 10:13:43 +0200

* 2020-12-23 08:38:13+0100, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> My case is a private conversation between me and the dog school, and a
> third person I want to CC (in some sense of receiving at least) all
> messages of the conversation (the third person is not the dog).
>
> Would you recommend Mail-Followup-To in this case, too? Can I specify
> multiple addresses there?

Header Mail-Followup-To is not in email RFC 5322 (nor older 2822). It is
is supported by some free software hacker email clients but user can't
rely on it. It can be some convenience at some situations, at best.

Widely supported features are:

  - Reply to sender: Reply message will be sent to the address in the
    original message's "From" or (if present) "Reply-To" header.
    "Reply-To" can have several addresses but it is just a suggestion
    where replies be sent. No person or email client program is required
    to honour "Reply-To".

  - Reply to all: Reply message will be send to the original sender (see
    above) and all addresses in the original message's "To" and "Cc"
    headers.

Those two options work reliably. If we wish to have an email
conversation between several people we need to include all participants
in our own messages and probably need to remind other people to choose
"reply to all" option. That is pretty much all we can do. Other fancier
features may work in some hacker communities.

--
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. https://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/