Re: Reply-To -> CC?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Reply-To -> CC?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 14:49:22 +0300

* Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> [2020-12-23 14:11]:
> * 2020-12-23 13:43:04+0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> If one is sending a message to a random (non-hacker) person one just
> can't rely on special hacker client features like "Mail-Followup-To" or
> "reply to list". Those things don't exist outside our bubble. There are
> only "reply to sender" and "reply to all".

Sorry, but is not like that. Those things do exist in our bubble which
is named Emacs. Mail headers or message fields are used by users in
the settings of email, there is nothing so complicated to say it is
"hacker client" feature as it is not. Just as you define your From
email address you may also define mailing list email addresses that
your email client recognizes such mailing lists and inserts
Mail-Followup-To -- so it is just about settings.

It is already built into Emacs and is nothing special or hacker feature.

/package/text/emacs/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp
$ zgrep -i mail-followup-to *
ldefs-boot.el:         \\[mail-mail-followup-to] move to Mail-Followup-To:
ldefs-boot.el:The variable is used to trigger insertion of the
\"Mail-Followup-To\"
loaddefs.el:         \\[mail-mail-followup-to] move to Mail-Followup-To:
loaddefs.el:The variable is used to trigger insertion of the
\"Mail-Followup-To\"

and it is in Gnus, message-mode, and in mml-mode or MIME meta language
mode.

message-use-mail-followup-to is a variable defined in ‘message.el’.
Its value is ‘use’

  You can customize this variable.
  This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
  version 22.1 of Emacs.

Documentation:
Specifies what to do with Mail-Followup-To header.
If nil, always ignore the header.  If it is the symbol ‘ask’, always
query the user whether to use the value.  If it is the symbol ‘use’,
always use the value.

There are other variables and settings related to Mail-Followup-To

Mail-Followup-To is related to mailing list and how recipient answers
to the user who has set the Mail-Followup-To.

So if user does set Mail-Followup-To your email client should, if
compliant to it, honor the request and not answer to the author of the
message but extract mailing list address from anywhere like To or Cc
fields and use the mailing list address that is specified in the
Mail-Followup-To

That is long time already implemented in many software.

Look:
https://www.leptonite.org/mft/software.html