Re: Basic Question

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Basic Question
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 19:22:18 +0100

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 12:05:23PM -0500, Gary Highberger wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My end goal is to use emacs with gnu-smalltalk's built-in emacs interactive
> features.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a dual boot, Macbook Air.
>
> I installed and tested both the gui and terminal versions of emacs.
>
> Neither installation switches to content awareness for Smalltalk files
> (files with a .st extension).
>
> My Smalltalk files run fine on gnu-smalltalk and edit perfectly with
> (content aware) vim.
>
> Does emacs need to be configured to recognize Smalltalk files?
>
> Many thanks,

There is (at least) one smalltalk mode available from Elpa, the
Emacs package repository. In Emacs, do M-x list-packages and search
in that buffer (C-s) for "smalltalk".

You can download/install it from there.

(If those instructions are too terse, you're welcome to ask).

As to the mode itself, I can't say much, since I haven't tried it.
Perhaps someone more knwledgeable can chime in.

Cheers
 - t