Re: Basic Question

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Basic Question
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 21:19:42 +0300

* Gary Highberger <gary.highberger@gmail.com> [2020-12-23 21:02]:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My end goal is to use emacs with gnu-smalltalk's built-in emacs interactive
> features.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on a dual boot, Macbook Air.
>
> I installed and tested both the gui and terminal versions of emacs.
>
> Neither installation switches to content awareness for Smalltalk files
> (files with a .st extension).
>
> My Smalltalk files run fine on gnu-smalltalk and edit perfectly with
> (content aware) vim.
>
> Does emacs need to be configured to recognize Smalltalk files?

It says here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/Emacs.html#Emacs

GNU Smalltalk comes with its own Emacs mode for hacking Smalltalk
code. It also provides tools for interacting with a running Smalltalk
system in an Emacs subwindow.

But maybe that Emacs package is not packaged in GNU Smalltalk
distribution.

I can find the smalltalk-mode.el here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smalltalk.git/tree/?id=5a144882c9bbf2f9ad4dff7103f93f16981644a6

or here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smalltalk.git/plain/smalltalk-mode.el?id=5a144882c9bbf2f9ad4dff7103f93f16981644a6

And I could open this file:
/usr/share/smalltalk/scripts/Test.st

and invoke M-x smalltalk-mode and see syntax highlighting.

There are other emacs packages here:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/smalltalk.git/tree/?id=5a144882c9bbf2f9ad4dff7103f93f16981644a6

To automatically invoke the smalltalk mode, I guess you need this
setting:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.st$" . smalltalk-mode))

Jean