RE: any way to get white margin around text?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: any way to get white margin around text?
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 13:47:47 -0800 (PST)

> (defun rcd-word-processing ()
>   "Sets margins around `fill-column' and invokes `ruler-mode'"
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((fill-column (or fill-column 70))
>       (width (window-total-width)))
>     (when (> width fill-column)
>       (let* ((left (/ (- width fill-column) 2))
>                (right (- width left fill-column)))
>       (set-window-margins (get-buffer-window) left right)))
>     (ruler-mode)))
>
> The above function is not handling zooming and set-fill-column
> automatically. It is still more enjoyable with margins.

1. I don't see the problem with setting the fill-column.
   But maybe you want to also turn on `auto-fill-mode'.
   Or maybe you want to refill the existing text
   (`fill-region' or similar).

2. If you use library `zoom-frm.el' zooming works fine.

   That is to say that frame-zooming takes care of the
   margin also.  But buffer-zooming (aka text-scaling)
   does not.  (`C-u' with a zooming command flips between
   frame-zooming and buffer-zooming.)

   In addition to the recommended key bindings, you might
   want to add bindings for the margins, such as these
   same as the recommended ones, but for use in the
   margins:

   (global-set-key [left-margin  C-wheel-down] 'zoom-in)
   (global-set-key [right-margin C-wheel-down] 'zoom-in)
   (global-set-key [left-margin  C-wheel-up]   'zoom-out)
   (global-set-key [right-margin C-wheel-up]   'zoom-out)