Re: Help with unicode diacritics

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help with unicode diacritics
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 16:34:12 +0200

> From: Stephen Eglen <sje30@cam.ac.uk>
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 07:07:36 +0000
>
> I'm on manjaro arch, with Emacs 27.1.  I wrote the following snippet to
> demonstrate the problem. See the line of a character a with various
> diacritics under the call to (code) to demonstrate the problem.  Out of
> the three fonts I tested, Monaco does the best, but ideally I'd like to
> use JuliaMono.  If I view this same file in xfce4-terminal, using
> JuliaMono, all the diacritics appear fine.  This makes me suspect Emacs.
> On the page: https://damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/sje30/temp/accents.png is what
> I see (using EXWM, with emacs rendering on left and xfce-terminal on the
> right).
>
> How might I debug further?

You need to use a font that has glyphs both for a (every font will
fulfill that requirement) and the diacritics.  Emacs can only compose
characters if their glyphs come from the same font.

> Alternatively, does anyone recommend a monospace font with good Unicode
> performance in Emacs?

You are not looking for a font with good Unicode coverage, you are
looking for a font with good coverage of Latin diacritics.