Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:53:58 +0800

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM Robert Thorpe
<rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is it possible for me to edit Microsoft Excel spreadsheet directly
> > from within emacs, especially utilizing the powerful capabilities of
> > orgmode?
>
> People here have suggested lots of things.
>
> It depends on the application.  Jean Louis is correct to say that Emacs
> spreadsheets are not as fully featured as things like Libreoffice.
>
> Plotting charts is a problem.  So is sending spreadsheets to other
> people in a way that they can read the file.
>
> In my past jobs I've used spreadsheets a lot.  I've found that Emacs is
> very useful for the beginning steps.  If you have data in
> comma-separated-value format or tab-separated-value format then you can
> quickly check it over in Emacs and do cleaning-up changes.  But then
> I've found it best to take that CSV/TSV output and put it into a full
> spreadsheet package, to generate final output.  That is, if you need
> charts and distribution to others.

>From this point of view, if we want to have both full-features and
powerful capabilities in manipulating spreadsheet, it seems that only
the python based programmatic tools/packages, say, openpyxl
<https://openpyxl.readthedocs.io>, can meet the requirements
currently.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China