Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 07:39:26 +0800

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 1:55 AM Robert Thorpe
<rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 5:40 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> >>
> >> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2020-12-29 07:55]:
> >>
> >> What are you requirements?
> >
> > I use Linux as my working environment exclusively. So, I can't access
> > the native MS Office supplied for macOS/Windows. But I sometimes
> > really need to manipulate and process MS Office documents, especially
> > DOCX and XLSX files. Though there are some free and open source office
> > suites, e.g. LibreOffice, but none of them can completely compatible
> > with the MS Office.
> >
> > So, I want to find a way that can be used to programmatically complete
> > any possible work done by MS Office word/excel.
>
> Who creates the spreadsheet first?  Is it you or someone else?

From/by others, in most instances.

> If it's you then things can be quite simple.  You can create a
> comma-separated or tab-separated file in Emacs or something else.

Do you mean export the org table with CSV/TSV formats? I noticed that the
default orgmode table column separator is |.

> You can then import that file into Libreoffice and then save it as a .XLSX
> or .XLS file.  You can make a script in Libreoffice to do the import
> just the way you want it.

Sounds wonderful. Is there such an example script?

> Things are more difficult if you are given a .XLSX or .DOCX file by
> someone else.  In that case you have to use Libreoffice or something
> like it straight away.  You also have to be very careful was re-saving
> the file with changes because Libreoffice has some subtle
> incompatabilities with MS Excel and MS Word.
>
> If you just want to add new sheets to existing spreadsheets that is not
> too bad.  The problem is changing values in existing sheets.

You're absolutely right.

BR,
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China