Re: Sv: Install orgmode using its git repository.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Sv: Install orgmode using its git repository.
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:07:46 +0800

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 5:40 AM Robert Thorpe
<rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I agree with Arthur.
>
> I'd point out that this sort of thing has happened before.  A Python
> package called "Colourama" was found to be manipulating bitcoin
> addresses.  When you put a bitcoin address into the clipboard it would
> intercept it and replace it with a different one.  Notice the British
> spelling, the legitimate package was called "Colorama".  The "Colourama"
> package was a minor derivative with the bitcoin address trick added in.
>
> Something similar happened to the NPM Javascript library.
>
> We also have to remember that there's the possibility of people hacking
> things like github.  Or obtaining the credentials of github users and
> their signing keys.  The recent problems at the US DoD were caused by
> Solarwinds software.  The hackers got into the Solarwinds source code
> repository (due to very lax security, github & gitlab are probably
> better).  Once in the repository they made a few changes to the
> sourcecode to introduce a backdoor.
>
> As a result, I'm fairly wary of this idea of automatic downloading.  On
> the other hand, for many packages it's hardly practical to read the
> whole sourcecode no matter how you obtain it.

Elisp, just as any lisp derivatives, has a very steep learning curve.
They all have a fairly simple grammatical structure at the first
glimpse but it is so difficult to master and use them skillfully.

BR,
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China