Re: What is the point of binding C-m to RET, C-i to TAB etc on a GUI fra

From: Omar Polo
Subject: Re: What is the point of binding C-m to RET, C-i to TAB etc on a GUI frame?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:12:38 +0100

novim via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
writes:

> AFAIK, it is needed only in terminals, but it has not purpose on GUI. I don't
> think there are many people who, for example, press C-m instead of RET.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to define these in input-decode-map only if emacs
> runs in a terminal and on GUI letting the user freely rebind them?

I don't think I ever used C-m, but I do sometime use C-i instead of
TAB.  Many window manager and desktop environment binds alt-tab, the same
default binding for completion-at-point.  I suppose there are people who
use M-C-i instead of "alt-tab" at least for that.

(Also, even if you have tab-always-indent set to 'complete, you may
still need M-C-i for instance in yasnippet, given how it hijacks TAB)

my two cents

P.S.: it would be cool to have a setting to explicitly say "I don't care
about tty-compatible keybindings".  But, OTOH, I've just discovered
input-decode-map thanks to this thread so I may play with it.