Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 06:56:54 -1000

andres.ramirez <rrandresf@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs has an spreadsheet mode builtin:
>
> (info "(ses) Quick Tutorial")
>
> ses-mode could be embedded within an 'org source code block'.
>
> Perhaps someone has a tool for converting ms-spreadsheet files to
> ses-mode.

Aloha everyone,

I've used SES in the past with good results. I've found it
easier to use than org-mode spreadsheets, although that said,
I often do go with org-mode just to keep things in one file,
and within the org-mode ecosystem. I haven't tried the
intriguing idea of a SES code block in org --- is there a
back-end for that?

SES, I think, doesn't get enough attention. It's quite
powerful given that formulas are simply elisp expressions (of
course org-mode offers that option too), but it's definitely
easier to manage formulas in SES (my opinion, of course).

As to conversion, there is a SES2ANY utility out there
somewhere which purports to make Excel out of SES. I haven't
tried it, and I'm not sure how easy (hard!) it would be to go
the other direction if there were to be any degree of
complexity.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i