Re: TIL about string-rectangle

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: TIL about string-rectangle
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 06:44:37 -0600

> You will have an easier time sorting by date if you keep dates in the
> ISO 8601 format: YYYY-MM-DD.

Oh, no question. * My source does it the wrong way (a big financial
institution who should know better), and the source updates almost daily,
so I felt it easier to just leave the dates as-is. Perhaps I should add an
extra transformation to the shell pipeline which preprocesses the new
inputs.

Skip

* I use my wife's birthday as a numeric PIN in one situation where we both
need to know the number. I tried to explain to her that it is her birthday
in sorting order. (She wouldn't know "ISO-8601" from a hole in the ground.)
She didn't get it. :-)