Re: Binding keys to echo area mouse events

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Binding keys to echo area mouse events
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 11:46:16 -0500

> Is it possible to capture mouse/scroll events on the echo area?
>
> For the mode-line, something like the following works:
>
>     (global-set-key (kbd "<mode-line> <mouse-4>") #'b/exwm-ws-prev)
>     (global-set-key (kbd "<mode-line> <mouse-5>") #'b/exwm-ws-next)
>
> Which allows me to switch to my previous and next EXWM workspace.
> I'd like to do the same for the echo area, but  I'm not quite sure if
> it's possible as of now.

If you're using a separate minibuffer-only frame, then you can use
`minibuffer-inactive-mode` (and its `minibuffer-inactive-mode-map`)
which might do the trick.

If not, then I think you'll need to make changes to the C code because
otherwise any event sent to the echo area signals "Minibuffer window is
not active".

        Stefan