Re: ELPA

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: ELPA
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 11:27:13 -0800

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>>> Yes, otherwise it wouldn't work at all :)
>>
>> Actually it looks like package-archives defaults to
>> containing gnu and nongnu, so unless you're installing from
>> melpa you wouldn't even need that.
>
>   Original value was (("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";))
>
> So yep, could just push melpa then...
>
>> But that might be a recent change -- what version of Emacs
>> are you running?
>
> GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-10-23
>
>> I wonder if you have a package in
>> `package-selected-packages' that no longer exists, and
>> that's why the update is failing?
>
>   with-editor w3m vterm timp slime seq quiz markdown-mode
>   lua-mode google-translate gnuplot-mode crontab-mode
>   ascii-art-to-unicode

Well that was a red herring. I don't actually know that much about
package.el, sorry! It almost looks more like a problem with
tabulated-list-mode. Would you do M-x toggle-debug-on-error and trigger
the error again, and post the full backtrace? Maybe someone will be able
to make sense of it, or we can do a proper bug report.