Re: Is there a translation platform for the Emacs manual

From: Janusz S. Bień
Subject: Re: Is there a translation platform for the Emacs manual
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 18:13:51 +0100

On Sat, Jan 09 2021 at 11:39 -05, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I'm using its free version and it works pretty well.
>> Those who are interested can come and have a look.
>>
>> https://crowdin.com/project/emacs-manual-chinese
>> <https://crowdin.com/project/emacs-manual-chinese>
>
> Cursory look suggests this is "free as in free beer", i.e. proprietary,
> so not something the Emacs project can recommend (or even just
> point to.  Actually even pointing to such services in `help-gnu-emacs`
> is frowned upon).

I was using it some time ago and I think its main advantage is a
dictionary of phrases making reasonable suggestion.

So instead od frowning offer a good alternative. E.g. you can revive

https://web.archive.org/web/20070317101647/http://open-tran.eu:80/
https://web.archive.org/web/20131230040211/http://open-tran.eu/

The code is here

https://github.com/sliwers/open-tran