RE: The correspondence of the command-name and its key-sequence.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: The correspondence of the command-name and its key-sequence.
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 13:21:47 -0800 (PST)

Wrt `C-q' (besides what was said about quoting):

If I remember right, at one point `C-s' and `C-q' in Emacs may have had their
traditional ASCII Control character behaviors of XOFF and XON.

(At least I seem to remember _some_ keys doing that.  Maybe it was `<scroll>',
usable as a toggle.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_flow_control

ASCII Control character behaviors were a partial starting point for some Emacs
keys, I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#Control_characters

On the other hand, there may also have some influence from UNIX shell control
chars (`C-c', `C-d'), though I don't recall anything specific.

Some is history.  Some is mnemonics.  Some is ...