Re: Help configuring a keyboard for Emacs

From: Francis Belliveau
Subject: Re: Help configuring a keyboard for Emacs
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:40:18 -0500

Juan,

Robert had some good information.
However, in general one needs to develop what I have heard called "The Emacs
Claw".

My keyboard only has a control key on the left and that is how the original
keyboards (before DOS) were designed.
Therefore, the C-x C-s sequence is done with the pinky holding the control key
and my index finger handling the 'x' and 's'.  Same for C-x C-f.
I tend to move lines and characters using my right hand on the arrow keys, but
sometimes I use my right hand to complete C-p and C-u is always done with both
hands.

Also, like Robert said, knowing the ASCII control mappings also helps a bit as
I very often use C-[ C-\ in place of C-M-\, just because I find it more
convenient than holding control with my left pinky and meta with the finger
next to it.

Think of not moving your hands too far from the typist's home position.  If you
have two control keys, the control key is actuated in a manner similar to the
shift key.  They are usually not that far from shift.

My meta key is directly next to my control key so that works easy enough also.
I also have a lot of custom mappings with a C-z prefix and I tend not to use
the C-c prefix very much.

Good luck getting it all worked out for yourself.
Fran