Re: Ange-ftp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Ange-ftp
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 09:52:00 +0100

"David Diem" <david.diem@uni-konstanz.de> writes:

> Hello,

Hi David,

> I have noticed that ange-ftp has become significantly slower
> for my webhoster. On another (unrelated) note, I would like to make it
> work with a non-/bin/ftp client (such as lftp), in order to make
> FTP+TLS work. Is anyone currently developping ange-ftp to handle
> FTP+TLS (my suspicion is, the slowness in my webhoster connection
> might come from some novelties in authentication/transport security,
> as well)?

I don't know whether somebody is working on this outside the main Emacs
development line. Occasionally, I apply fixes to ange-ftp, because it is
started these days via Tramp, and I'm the Tramp maintainer.

> I do not know where to ask/look for help except this list -
> hope this is the right place. In case no-one is working on ange-ftp,
> if anyone wants to help me improve it, please write me or answer
> here. (Disclaimer: Power user, but novice Lisper).

I don't plan to add new features to ange-ftp by myself. However, in case
you start this, I will happily help you if possible and if time permits.

> Best regards, David

Best regards, Michael.